Blueberry Crumb Bars

These blueberry crumb bars got a makeover. This updated recipe has been made healthier with whole grains and is still just as good as the original recipe!

Sign up for my FREE email list for more whole grain goodness and new recipes. Let’s do this!

Blueberry Crumb Bars a healthier dessert made with whole wheat flour!

It’s that time of year where everyone is obsessing with blueberries and the markets are starting to fill up with ripe & juicy fruits. My market haul today consisted of 3 different kinds of berries, peaches, & sugar plums; along with sweet corn, green beans, and carrots! The great thing about fruit & crumb bars: you can substitute basically any fruit you have on hand or whatever fruits are in season and it will still be a gratifying seasonal dessert.

Blueberry Crumb Bars a healthier dessert made with whole wheat flour!

Some substitution ideas: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, or even sliced & peeled peaches. Why not try some cherries, plums or nectarines! Go crazy. Have fun!

Blueberry Crumb Bars a healthier dessert made with whole wheat flour!

Another variation for cooler weather would be to utilize the growing pumpkins. Mix some fresh pumpkin puree and add cinnamon, clove, ginger, and allspice and there you have it… pumpkin crumb bars! Maybe make use of the abundance of apples and pears in September. I am thinking very far ahead, aren’t I? For now, berry crumb bars! Get to it!

Other Blueberry Recipes:

Blueberry Crumb Bars

These blueberry crumb bars just a little bit better for you with the addition of whole grains!

Yield: 9

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Cook Time: 45 Minutes

Total Time: 60 Minutes

for the fruit layer:
1 pint fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
for dough:
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp white whole wheat flour
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). coat a 9x13 inch pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray.

Stir together the sugar and arrowroot starch or cornstarch. Gently mix in the blueberries. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and cinnamon. if using. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly.

Pat half of dough into the prepared pan. Layer the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust and crumble left over dough onto the berry layer.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until brown on top. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

adapted from allrecipes.com

This post and recipe was originally published on July 27, 2011. The photos and recipe were updated on June 25, 2015. For the original recipe, please visit allrecipes.com.

Related Recipes:

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler whole grain and can be made dairy-free! Easy summer dessert

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler: This cobbler is made with whole grains, rhubarb and fresh strawberries!

Whole Grain Apple Cake - made with whole wheat flour and topped with homemade whipped cream

Whole Grain Apple Cake: Another family favorite with healthy oils and whole grains! Made with spelt flour for a unique (and awesome) flavor. Combine all that awesome with apples and homemade whipped cream and we have a winning recipe!

Banana Pecan Bread - whole grain made with spelt flour and toasted pecans for a complex yet wonderful flavor

Banana Pecan Bread (Whole Grain, Dairy-Free): This Banana Pecan Bread is made with spelt flour and coconut oil to make it whole grain and dairy-free.

Looking for more whole grain recipes? Follow along on Pinterest!

Follow Samantha | Sweet-Remedy.com’s board Whole Grain Baking on Pinterest.

More whole grain, gluten free, vegan and other alternative baking recipes coming soon so make sure you subscribe via Email. Follow Sweet Remedy on Bloglovin’ or Feedly!

40 Responses to “Blueberry Crumb Bars”

Jackie — August 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Blueberries are my daughter’s favorite snacking fruit. These look like a dessert she would really enjoy. Yum!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking — August 13, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Oh this just looks so delicious. We really love blueberries!!

luigi longo — August 1, 2012 at 11:17 am

Is the white sugar listed in the recipe powdered sugar or is it the same cane sugar use in the beginning of the recipe?

• Samantha replied on — August 1st, 2012 at 11:32 am

Both sugars listed are white cane sugar. Sorry for any confusion.

Lynne — August 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Made these last night–they were great. I’m desperately trying to use up all the fruit I seem to have on hand. Added juice of 1/2 a lime to the blueberry layer, skipped the cinnamon and added teaspoon of vanilla to the pastry. Officemates scarfed the whole lot of them down this morning–they were a hit. Thanks for posting 🙂

• Samantha replied on — August 8th, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Glad you made them! Your adaptations sound lovely!

M — August 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Is the butter to be room temp or refrigerator temp?

• Samantha replied on — August 13th, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Room temp is a good rule of thumb when baking.

Liz @ Books n' Cooks — December 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm

The dessert fairy found these on Pinterest and was kind enough to share some with me. Wow, they were great! My husband definitely didn’t get his fair share of the package. 🙂

Carolyn — January 17, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Has anyone used frozen blueberries?

• Samantha replied on — January 18th, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work 🙂 Give it a shot!

Carolyn — January 25, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Tried the recipe with frozen blueberries. Came out great!!!!
    thanks

Rachel — January 30, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Did you thaw the frozen blueberries first?

• Samantha replied on — January 30th, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I wouldn’t. I’d just throw them in as is and bake. Hope that works out for you. I think it will be okay.

Jacqui — February 2, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Made these today for a baby shower – everyone loved them! I used frozen blueberries (did NOT thaw prior to baking) – turned out GREAT! Definitely making them again.

Marie-Eve — March 31, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Thanks for sharing. I have found this recipe on Pinterest and made it for Easter brunch. It was soooooo good, but so high in calories! I will definitely need to find a way to cut some calories, because I want to make them again!

I used frozen (not thaw prior baking) and fresh blueberries.

Teresa — April 16, 2013 at 2:29 am

Do you mix in whole blueberries or do you crush or puree them first?

• Samantha Seeley replied on — April 16th, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I mixed in whole blueberries but I’m sure you could also crush/puree them.

klaudia — June 4, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Made these bars, but added raspberries and strawberries to the mix, turned out delicious!! The dough is so tasty, and it is easy to bake. Thank you for sharing Sam!

• Samantha Seeley replied on — June 4th, 2013 at 3:10 pm

What a great idea!

RaChell — June 4, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I used black raspberries instead and it was divine! !!

Collyn — June 21, 2013 at 11:43 am

About how many does this recipe make?

• Samantha Seeley replied on — June 21st, 2013 at 11:47 am

About 9 bars depending on how big you cut them. The recipe fills a 9×13 dish.

Annie — July 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Tried the blueberry recipe came out great! About to make it again, this time with banana’s as the fruit and one part oats for the flour mixture. Im sure its going to be deelish!!

Sue — March 30, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Made these a couple days ago, added one teaspoon cinnamon. Absolutely wonderful! We all loved them. I did have to bake them for an extra fifteen minutes. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jessica — October 22, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I made these last month and they were divine! Now that fall has arrived, have you tried the pumpkin in place of the blueberries yet? I was interested in trying it, but wanted to know how they might turn out. Thanks!

Ashley — October 23, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Should the leftovers be refrigerated?

sarah — February 6, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Can salted butter be used? I don’t have any unsalted on hand. Or is there a substitute?

• Samantha Seeley replied on — February 20th, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Hi Sarah, Yes you can use salted butter in place of unsalted.

Cara-Lyn — June 12, 2015 at 7:26 pm

I made this today, exact to your recipe (I usually change something). It was a huge hit!! My Littles loved it! Perfection!

Many Thanks!!

Christine — July 16, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Why did you change the recipe from the original that I pinned a year ago? I really enjoyed the first recipe you posted & am disappointed that I can’t find it now.

1. Pingback: Friday, I’m in L-O-V-E « Run Around My Blog

2. Pingback: Books and Cooks

3. Pingback: Friday Finds | Bites of Balance

4. Pingback: Blueberry Crumb Bars – Sweet Remedy | Dreamy Blog

5. Pingback: Blueberry Crumb Bars | the petite croissant

6. Pingback: Blueberry Crumble Bars - desire to eat

7. Pingback: Fresh From The Garden: Zucchini & Blueberry Galore! | Jonesin' for a run

8. Pingback: Sadie-Spiced Blueberry Crumbler