Are you having trouble getting your daily servings of veggies like I am? Well, this ‘green’ smoothie will help with not only your veggie servings but 1 serving of fruit as well! I made this 3 times this week and I would have made it more but I ran out of kale. I’m not sure if it’s all in my head but I just feel better after drinking one of these! Not only is it a smoothie, it’s extremely good for you since kale is:
- High in fiber which will keep you feeling fuller; longer.
- One of the best sources of beta-carotene which is known to punch cancer & heart disease in the face.
- Provides our bodies with calcium, vitamin c, folic acid, vitamin B6, magnesium and potassium.
- 1 cup chopped = one serving size and is low in calories and full of the good stuff I mentioned above.
Some of you may be scared of green smoothies because they look strange, I think the vibrant green color is great looking. Some of them that use strawberries or blueberries are scary because they become this dark brown color but I’m sure they taste just fine. The addition of the banana makes this smoothie a winner, along with your choice of sweetener. You have multiple options for sweetening this smoothie: agave nectar, honey, maple syrup, vanilla extract, or cinnamon.
Kale & Banana Smoothie
- 5-6 kale leaves
- 1 large banana
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar
- 1/3 cup of soy milk
- 7-8 ice cubes
- Put the kale leaves and ice in the blender or food processor.
- Cut the banana in half and add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the soy milk and blend until only large chunks of ice remain.
- Add the agave nectar or your choice of sweetener.