Kale & Banana Smoothie

Are you having trouble getting your daily servings of veggies like I am? Well, this ‘green’ smoothie will help with not only your veggie servings but 1 serving of fruit as well! I made this 3 times this week and I would have made it more but I ran out of kale. I’m not sure if it’s all in my head but I just feel better after drinking one of these! Not only is it a smoothie, it’s extremely good for you since kale is:

• High in fiber which will keep you feeling fuller; longer.
  • One of the best sources of beta-carotene which is known to punch cancer & heart disease in the face.
  • Provides our bodies with calcium, vitamin c, folic acid, vitamin B6, magnesium and potassium.
  • 1 cup chopped = one serving size and is low in calories and full of the good stuff I mentioned above.

Some of you may be scared of green smoothies because they look strange, I think the vibrant green color is great looking. Some of them that use strawberries or blueberries are scary because they become this dark brown color but I’m sure they taste just fine. The addition of the banana makes this smoothie a winner, along with your choice of sweetener. You have multiple options for sweetening this smoothie: agave nectar, honey, maple syrup, vanilla extract, or cinnamon.

Kale & Banana Smoothie

ingredients:

• 5-6 kale leaves
  • 1 large banana
  • 1 Tbsp agave nectar
  • 1/3 cup of soy milk
  • 7-8 ice cubes

directions:

1. Put the kale leaves and ice in the blender or food processor.
  2. Cut the banana in half and add to the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Add the soy milk and blend until only large chunks of ice remain.
  4. Add the agave nectar or your choice of sweetener.

12 Responses to “Kale & Banana Smoothie”

Heidi @ Food Doodles — July 11, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Yum! I usually use spinach for my green smoothies but I need to try more kale. It’s awesome how much goodness you can pack in there :D

Charissa — July 11, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Just discovered your site and I LOVE it!

This recipe looks great and now I’m dying to try it! Thanks for sharing!

Kelly — July 12, 2011 at 10:59 am

This looks delicious!! Wow what a fantastic blog you have, so glad to be a new follower!! :)

Hannah — July 12, 2011 at 11:36 am

I’m enamored with your photos! Honestly, I don’t think I could make a green smoothie look so delicious even if I drizzled it with chocolate and floated marshmallows on top… Incredible shots. :)

Jay — July 13, 2011 at 5:35 am

loved it …beautiful clicks..
    first time here..love your space..
    awesome recipe collection..
    Am your happy subscriber now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

Cathy — July 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Just made one of these this morning! They are great!

Sandra — July 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I’ve been juicing for almost two months now and kale is one of my staple ingredients. I like the addition of banana and will try it next time. Thanks for the healthy info. Buzzing you!!!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I’ve done spinach in my smoothies but so far kale has scared me, guess I should finally try it!

Angie — July 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

I made this for my pre-workout snack and added chia seeds. Thanks for the recipe!

• Samantha replied on — July 19th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I love that you added chia seeds.

Chris — November 20, 2012 at 4:18 am

I started making green smoothies and within two weeks my knee which was sore for 5 weeks and getting worse was 95% healed allowing me to work out again. I am a huge believer, thanks to Vitamix. I never knew how tasty getting these vitamins from Kale, spinach and many others would be.

1. Pingback: New Year’s Resolutions: 20 Healthy Recipes to Kick Off 2014 | Seaside Vacations