Quinoa Egg & Spinach Scramble

Quinoa, pronounced [KEEN-wah] was always very elusive to me. I could never find it in a store and finally I came across it in the Bob’s Red Mill brand (the brand I use for my beloved flax seeds) and bought it immediately. Then it was just deciding what to do with it. So far I’ve had it as a cold breakfast cereal with berries and nuts which was pretty great. I had some quinoa salad ideas but what I really wanted was an interesting breakfast with some of this elusive (to me) yet ever so popular food.

So what is the deal with Quinoa, anyway? Why the craze all of a sudden when it has been cultivated for thousands of years? I couldn’t tell you why it is all of a sudden a big deal but it is jammed with B vitamins and minerals such as: Manganese, iron and magnesium. There is a lot of fiber and quinoa also contains all 9 essential amino acids. Essential meaning that our bodies do not produce them and we must get these amino acids from the food we eat. If you are a vegetarian/vegan you may want to seriously eat quinoa more often as it is hard to find beans with all 9 essential amino acids. (Nutrition nerd here, sorry y’all)

I woke up wanting eggs and I had some spinach left over from a blueberry spinach smoothie I made so I made some quinoa, cooked up some eggs threw in 1 cup of the quinoa and 2 large handfuls of spinach. It was pretty bland honestly, but healthy. I thought about what I could do to add some flavor and I’m coming up blank. Maybe add an onion? What spices go well with eggs and spinach? Are there any ideas/opinions out there? I’ll have to try something next time.

Quinoa tip: Rinse thoroughly before cooking.  The seeds are coated with saponins. (Naturally-occurring plant chemicals) You will know if you didn’t rinse it enough because it will have a bitter taste to it. Yes, I made this mistake the first time around.

You will be able to do a few different things with 1 cup of dry quinoa since it makes about 3 cups when cooked. This recipe calls for 1 cup of cooked quinoa so you will have about 2 cups left over if you cook 1 cup raw. I like storing it in the fridge for when I need it. If you don’t want left over quinoa then I’d make less than a cup. (¼ of a cup is equal to 1 cup cooked quinoa)

I have lots of ideas for this grain. Some will have to wait because they require some seasonal items that I just won’t buy during the winter months. Stuffed quinoa bell peppers anyone?

I’m curious: Have you ever tried quinoa and if so, what is your favorite way to make it?

Quinoa Egg & Spinach Scramble

Add some spices or an onion to this recipe. Read the comments for some reader ideas!

Yield: 2

Prep Time: 5

Cook Time: 15

Total Time: 20

Small amount of butter or cooking spray
2 eggs
2 tsp 2% milk
1 cup quinoa, cooked
2 large handfuls of spinach
salt and pepper, to taste

Cook 1 cup quinoa according to package instructions. Whisk the milk with both eggs until combined. Butter/spray a frying pan.

Place egg mixture in frying pan and gently move the mixture towards the center with a wooden spoon or spatula. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.

Once eggs are almost done put one cup of the cooked quinoa in along with the spinach and cook until spinach starts to wilt.(use your judgement so the eggs do not burn or use a separate pan for the eggs.)

SR

19 Responses to “Quinoa Egg & Spinach Scramble”

Rachel — March 1, 2012 at 12:05 am

I like this combination…I just started eating quinoa the past couple weeks so have been looking for good suggestions as well (and since I eat an egg scrambled with spinach every morning for breakfast, adding quinoa appealed to me). A suggestion…top this with grated parmesan. Adds a ton of flavor but very little calories.

Another thing I’ve been doing is sauteing up some spinach and jalapenos, then once wilted, adding a mixture of canned beans (and chickpeas), and the quinoa, and heating until it is all warm. Top with a sprinkling of parmesan. Very tasty!

• Samantha replied on — March 1st, 2012 at 8:20 am

Parmesan sounds lovely on top of this! I like the idea of jalapenos and chickpeas. Thanks for the suggestions!

Nicole — March 1, 2012 at 3:34 am

I’m not a vegetarian, but I do love quinoa! I use it in a crustless quiche recipe:
    3 cups cooked quinoa(cooled)
    3 cups mixed vegetables (I use defrosted frozen peas and corn, plus chopped green or red bell peppers)
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    12 eggs
    1/2 cup ricotta
    1 cup grated cheddar
    2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    8 slices turkey bacon, chopped (optional for vegetarians!)
    salt and pepper

1. Cook the quinoa (if you haven’t already – 1 cup raw to make 3 cups cooked) and set aside to cool.
    2. Stirfry the vegetables with the onion (and turkey bacon, if using) for 5 minutes, then set aside to cool
    3. Mix eggs, ricotta, cheddar and mustard together
    4. Add cooled quinoa and vegetable mix to egg mix and stir until well combined.
    5. Pour/scoop/shovel mix into a 9×13 baking dish, then cook at 400F for 40 minutes. Check with a knife or skewer for doneness (no eggy stuff stuck to the blade). Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then serve with salad.
    I usually make this on a weekend, then slice it up into 8 individual serves, which get frozen and pulled out every weekday morning to take for lunch (easy to heat up in the microwave).

• Samantha replied on — March 1st, 2012 at 8:21 am

Sounds like an awesome quiche. Thank you for the recipe!

Amanda — March 1, 2012 at 11:41 am

For more quinoa ideas, check out Quinoa with Black Beans (or something along those lines) at allrecipes.com. That’s one of my FAVORITE quinoa recipes. Sometimes, I’ll add a little red wine vinegar to the recipe along with some tomatoes and eat it with corn chips.

As far as flavoring your breakfast scramble, I’ve been making a lot of breakfasts along those lines lately. I have found that a 1/4 to 1/2 of an avocado on top, (again, along with tomatoes…or broccoli), makes a flavorful and delicious dish. You may also try cooking the quinoa in broth–chicken or vegetable, depending on your preference.

Amy — March 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm

There are 9 essential amino acids :)
    Also this sounds great, I can’t eat gluten and am always looking for ways to eat different grains.

• Samantha replied on — March 1st, 2012 at 3:56 pm

You know I thought so and I couldn’t remember if it was 8 or 9!

Rebecca — March 1, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I make something very similar to this (I don’t have a blog), and I put in some cayenne pepper and red onion. It’s really wonderful :)

Charissa — March 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm

This looks like my kind of meal…I think I need to make this!!!!

Btw, thank you so much for your sweet and genuine words about my Grandma’s passing…you have such a kind heart.

ileana — March 2, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Interesting! I really like quinoa and love eggs, but I’ve yet to put the two together. I’ll have to try this out. Thank you!

Maris (In Good Taste) — March 2, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Well yum! I have never tried quinoa with eggs but what could be bad?

Maria — April 14, 2012 at 10:53 am

I just made this for breakfast this morning and it was perfect! I added some red pepper flakes and a little bit of feta cheese, and it tasted amazing. Can’t wait to share this with my friends!

Joanne — April 23, 2012 at 5:50 pm

When I make scrambled eggs and spinach I saute onions and mushrooms
    first and mix a little salsa with the eggs. Husband loves it.

• Samantha replied on — April 25th, 2012 at 9:10 am

mushrooms and onions would rock in this! thanks, can’t wait to try it!

Liz — June 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I just made lunch with these ingredients. Here’s what I did to punch up the flavor:
    Mince one clove of garlic and one quarter of a vadalia onion in olive oil. Once the onions are transparent, add 1 cup dry quinoa and toast, stirring for about a minute. Add 1 1/4 c water and 1/4 c dry white or red wine. Bring to a boil and drizzle in one egg so it looks lie ribbon in the water, turn heat to low and simmer for 10 min or so. Add juice from one lime, about a quarter teaspoon of cumin, and about a half tsp each of siracha sauce and soy sauce. Stir and add as much spinach as you like. Summer until spinach is wilted and grate some asiago on top just before serving. It makes 3-4 servings so I you live alone like me, you can get two meals plus lunch the next day out of it! :). You can certainly add more egg but since I’m iffy about them, I keep it to one! Happy creating!

cathy — August 6, 2012 at 10:58 am

I, too, recently discovered the wonderful, amazing goodness of quinoa! I’ve made it as a breakfast cereal with fruit, in several salad variations, and as a result of an overabundance of parsley and kale in my garden, recently made a variation of tabbouleh using quinoa. It was the best!

Helen — January 4, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I melted a few crumbles of goat cheese right before pouring the scramble out of the pan, which tasted great. Thanks for posting the recipe, I really enjoyed this for breakfast this morning! Also very filling!

1. Pingback: Spicy Black Bean Endive Boats — Colourful Palate