Lemon Meringue Pie for Pie Party 2012

Pie for a Guy is what I really wanted to title this post but then I found out that today is Pie Party 2012!

Is it just me…or isn’t pie day usually march 14th? Maybe everyday should just be pie day. Any excuse to make a pie, am I right?

This lemon meringue pie was a challenge. This challenge was set forth by a friend of mine who decided he wanted to eat pie and thought that challenging me would get him free pie. It worked. I made him pie. He ate it. He said meringue was weird. I agreed.

I wish I had the foresight to have taken pictures eating the pie. Next time there is a pie party I will be more prepared!

I know this is unheard of from a food blogger but I’ve never made meringue before, and I’ve never had any, either. Is all meringue an odd texture or was it just mine? I just don’t know what I could have possibly done wrong. Eggs and sugar, stiff white peaks…

I burned the meringue. Maybe that is what went wrong… I blame my broiler.

You can find the recipe I used over at Whisk Kid.

Pie Party Round-up:

How absolutely amazing and stunning are all of these pies? The food blogging community is truly astounding. You are all truly amazing. Thank you for making pie.

17 Responses to “Lemon Meringue Pie for Pie Party 2012”

amelia from z tasty life — June 20, 2012 at 1:42 pm

lovely. Thanks for including me!!!

Tickled Red — June 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm

What a scrumptious pie you chose, I can’t wait it give it a whirl! Thank you so much for including me darlin’. xo

Gilli — June 20, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Hi thought you might like to include my post in your Pie Round up
    I’m Gilli from New Zealand, Land of the Long White Cloud and the Meat Pie.
    Plus I have added a Rich Apple Pie to my Post
    Cheers

Renée J. (RJ Flamingo) — June 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Thanks so much for including me in your round-up for the Pie Party! You’re right of course, Pi Day is March 14th, but some folks thought that summertime, with its abundance of fruit in season, is perfect pie time, too! :-)

If it makes you feel any better, I’m still trying to perfect my meringue, too. The last time I made a pie with meringue, I didn’t get those pretty peaks, and the whole thing turned an even shade of tan in the oven. Oh, well. All we can do is keep trying, right?

domenicacooks — June 20, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I for one am impressed with your first attempt at a meringue-topped pie. Yes, meringue is a challenge and it is affected by all sorts of variables, such as heat and humidity. It can fail to set properly; it can get “weepy” (beads of liquid that appear on the meringue). So considering the many things that can go wrong your first try wasn’t so bad! When you say the texture was “weird” I wonder what you mean? The texture of meringue is kind of foamy and spongy. Pie meringue is not as dense as, say, frosting or even whipped cream. And it’s not dry and crunchy, like the type of meringue you would see in a baked pavlova. I have always liked the idea of meringue pie better than the actual reality of it, though I have to say my Italian mom used to make gloriously high, perfectly browned lemon meringue pies. The only way to learn these things is to just keep doing them. So give yourself a pat on the back.

And thanks for including me in your Pie Party roundup. Looking forward to reading the posts.

• Samantha replied on — June 20th, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Thanks so much. I think the meringue actually turned out fine. The way you describe it is exactly how it was. I wasn’t into it after the first bite, the light and foamy texture was strange to me. I grew to like it after my second and third bite though!

Emily — June 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Beautiful meringue! Thanks for including me in your round-up!

Gilli — June 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Samantha I just finished this pie. Had to add it. You may like it for your round up Thanks

kellypea — June 20, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I say most days should be pie days, but then I’d have to get creative with the crustless variety, and pies full of veggies. My hips can’t deal! Love your pie — lemon meringue is a favorite in our family even though I agree that meringue is a bit strange. Try and Italian meringue next time. It’s delicious. And that pie is gorgeous!

Jamie — June 21, 2012 at 9:52 am

Ooh thanks for the Pie Party Roundup and for including me!! But now I can just click over from here to visit them all! Yay! And yum love meringue pie but I’ve never made one either so your attempt is inspiring!! Happy Pie Day!

Lee Clayton Roper (A Well-Seasoned Kitchen) — June 21, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Thanks so much for including me in your Pie Party round up. Can’t wait to try these yummy sounding recipes!

Lynna — June 23, 2012 at 5:15 am

Yeah, i agree with you…i thought meringue tasted kind of funny when I first had it. But i feel like it`s okay now..LOL

yarska — July 7, 2012 at 8:29 pm

i recommend you all try out a swiss meringue or an italian meringue. they’re so much tastier than the french meringue in the above recipe. they’re not foamy at all, they’re quite silky smooth and sexy!

1. Pingback: GlutenFree Strawberry Cream Puff Pie - »

2. Pingback: Pie Party Review | Lesser Homes & Gardens

3. Pingback: Strawberry and Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie - Sass & Veracity — Sass & Veracity

4. Pingback: Pie Party Review | Kerry's Best Recipes