Pecan Pear Crème Fraîche Ice Cream
Vermont Creamery is giving away some prizes! Be sure to go through the Rafflecopter giveaway found on yesterdays post for Spaghetti Squash with Crème Fraîche Peas and Corn and follow all the instructions for 13 chances to win!
With the new season in full swing, my mind wanders towards apple and pumpkin laced with allspice, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. This year I’ve been quite enamored with the soft and juicy pear. The pear is an underrated fall fruit. Poor pear, you are not forgotten! Pecans also play second fiddle to the walnut. This Pecan Pear Crème Fraîche Ice Cream will not take a back seat to any other seasonal flavors… Not on my watch.
For this recipe I used my Candied Maple Glazed Walnut recipe and replaced the walnuts with pecans. So you will also need to buy maple syrup, butter, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Or purchase already glazed pecans.
Vermont Creamery not only has a lovely original Crème Fraîche flavor but they have a new flavor that is infused with Madagascar Vanilla. This new flavor is perfect, in my opinion for the sweeter recipes that you might use Crème Fraîche in. Take it from me, you’ll want to give this a try. Don’t forget to enter the Keep it Fraîche giveaway on my first Crème Fraîche post, Spaghetti Squash with Crème Fraîche Peas and Corn. Head over there and use the Rafflecopter widget for 13 easy chances to win a prize pack from Vermont Creamery that is full of great tasting Crème Fraîche, butter and chocolates. You won’t want to miss this. Seriously!
Don't forget that pears make a lovely accompaniment to fall and all of its spiced flavors.
Yield: 1 quart
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 6 hours 45 min
- 3 pears
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 8 oz Vermont Creamery Madagascar Vanilla Crème Fraîche
- 1 cup maple glazed pecans
- Wash, peel and chop pears. Combine the pears and the arrowroot or cornstarch in a small saucepan. Add the water and put on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, while stirring. Mixture will thicken up. Place into the refrigerator until you are ready to churn the ice cream mixture in your ice cream machine.
- Beat milk and eggs together in a large saucepan. Add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger and cook over medium-low heat. Constantly stir with a wooden spoon until thickened enough to coat the back of the spoon. Remove from heat. Once cooled, add heavy cream and place plastic wrap directly on the top of the mixture. Place into the refidgerator for 4 or more hours.
- Churn mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Once churning is complete, add the Madagascar Vanilla Crème Fraîche to the ice cream, it will resemble soft serve. Mix in the pear mixture and maple glazed pecans recipe. Transfer to a container with a lid that is suitable for freezing. Freeze until frozen through, usually about 3-4 hours.
Vermont Creamery is giving away some prizes! Be sure to go through the Rafflecopter giveaway found on yesterdays post for Spaghetti Squash with Crème Fraîche Peas and Corn and follow all the instructions for 14 chances to win! This prize package includes a Keep It Fraîche T-Shirt 2 Original Crème Fraîche 8oz containers, 2 Crème Fraîche Madagascar Vanilla 8oz containers, Maple and Sea Salt Cultured Butter, Sea Salt Crystals Cultured Butter and a box of chocolates.
Disclosure: I was not provided monetary compensation to post about or to link to these brands and as always, my opinion of this product is my own. Vermont Creamery provided me with the Crème Fraîche and butter to use in my recipes and is providing the prize for this giveaway.