Garlic Scape Pesto

An inventive take on basil pesto: This Garlic Scape Pesto uses garlic scapes, arugula, walnuts and pistachios to give it a tangy yet garlic filled flavor.

Garlic Scape Pesto-9

I finally did it. I finally signed up for a CSA which stands for Community Supported Agriculture. With a CSA you pay a fee at the beginning of the season, usually in May to receive produce in the form of a “share” which you pick up directly from a local farm. We’re on our third week of the CSA pick up and I’ve gotten to know a lot of produce that I never knew existed. Today I’m sharing this Garlic Scape Pesto that I made with these crazy looking tubes called Garlic Scapes.

I knew all about garlic scapes already but I was excited to finally get my hands on some to experiment with. I decided to make a pesto but dress it up a little bit with pistachios and walnuts in place of pine nuts and garlic scapes (and arugula!) in place of basil.

Garlic Scape Pesto

The result was a delicious concoction which was a bit bitter yet also filled with a robust garlic flavor. I was very happy with the way this came out and I used it in a pasta dish with angel hair pasta, mushrooms, fresh arugula and goat cheese. I’ve been eating that pasta dish every night for dinner as it made so many servings. Hey, I’m not complaining!

Garlic Scape Pesto

So if you got Garlic Scapes in your CSA box this week, never fear! There are a ton of things you can do with them and I’ll be making a garlic scrape guide filled with recipes and facts in the next few days.

Yesterday I also picked up a bunch of Kohlrabi. What on earth will I do with that? The guy working the CSA pick up was so enthralled with the Kohlrabi. He said they looked alien and you know what? They kind of do.

Garlic Scape Pesto

So what can you do with this pesto? The more obvious option is to put it on top of some pasta, like I did. But if you are feeling adventurous you can maybe slice up some zucchini lengthwise and spread the pesto along side of the slice then roll it up into a…roll. That actually sounds pretty good and I think I will do that for a light dinner today! Let’s be honest, you can only eat so much pasta…

Garlic Scape Pesto

Garlic Scape Pesto

A classic pesto recipe with garlic scapes and arugula in place of basil. Pistachios and walnuts are used in place of pine nuts. Be sure to use a good quality olive oil to really enhance all of the other flavors.

Yield: 16 oz jar

Prep Time: 10 min

Cook Time: 00 min

Total Time: 40 min

2 1/2 cups garlic scapes
1/3 cup arugula
1/3 cup pistachios
1/2 cup walnuts
1 cup olive oil + 1 Tbsp, divided
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Cut the garlic scapes into one inch pieces and add to a food processor with the arugula. Process until they are both processed into very tiny pieces.

Add pistachios and walnuts and half of the olive oil. Turn the food processor back on and process until incorporated and scrape the sides with a spatula.

Add the remaining oil,  parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Process again until combined.  Using a spatula, scoop out the pesto and put in a glass jar with a lid. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the top and cover. Store in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.

Looking for more? Subscribe via Email. Follow Sweet Remedy on Bloglovin’ or Feedly!

18 Responses to “Garlic Scape Pesto”

Courtney @ Neighborfood — July 2, 2014 at 9:52 am

I absolutely love this idea! Garlic packed pesto?? Yes please!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — July 2, 2014 at 10:38 am

Garlic scrape, never really heard of it but now really want to eat it in everything possible! This pesto would be perfect on everything.

The Food Hunter — July 2, 2014 at 10:40 am

I love that CSA’s allow you to try things you normally wouldn’t

Martha @ A Family Feast — July 2, 2014 at 10:58 am

I’ve heard of garlic scapes – but never garlic scrapes! I’ll have to look for them…this recipe sounds delicious!

• Samantha Seeley replied on — July 2nd, 2014 at 11:04 am

LOL. Martha. Thank you for pointing out my crazy misspelling. I feel so silly. Can I just go hide in a corner now?

Martha @ A Family Feast — July 2, 2014 at 11:56 am

No problem Samantha! I once published a post for Shepherd’s Pie and spelled it Shepard…happens all the time! Either way – this recipe looks delicious!

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic — July 2, 2014 at 11:59 am

Pesto is such a great way to combine flavors. I loves me a garlicky pesto, so I’m sure the garlic scapes set a wonderful tone.

Angie — July 2, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Love this pesto, it would be perfect on a panini!

Amanda ( The Kitcheneer) — July 2, 2014 at 1:55 pm

This pesto looks AMAZING! I love anything with garlic! I would love to put this on my zucchini noodles! Or make stuffed chicken breasts with it!

Paula - bell'alimento — July 2, 2014 at 2:37 pm

One of my favorite varieties on pesto!

christine — July 2, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I’m a little jealous that we have never gotten those in our CSA baskets in the past! CSA’s are so awesome. I always feel like I’m on an episode of chopped when it arrives and I’m like “okay what can I make with all of this”

valmg @ From Val's Kitchen — July 3, 2014 at 1:37 am

I’ve never heard of a CSA before. It sounds like a reat concept!

Melissa from HungryFoodLove.com — July 3, 2014 at 7:58 am

You just inspired me to try garlic scape. I have never tried it but this pesto sounds soooo worth it!

Jenn @ Deliciously Sprinkled — July 3, 2014 at 8:27 am

YUM, I can’t wait to make this! We love pesto! :)

Rachel Cooks — July 3, 2014 at 2:54 pm

This looks fantastic! And such gorgeous photos :)

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious — July 3, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Garlic scape pesto is the best!

Nutmeg Nanny — July 4, 2014 at 10:54 am

Garlic scape pesto is my favorite! I’m such a scape lover :)

Traci | Vanilla And Bean — July 10, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Sam, your photographs are beautiful! I love garlic scapes and garlic scape pesto is a fantastic way to experience summer in the cold of winter! I just got some from my CSA too! They are beautiful… curly and delicious!