Walnut Hummus Brownies

These cake-like Walnut Hummus Brownies use hummus in lieu of butter and are dairy-free and 100% whole grain! Chocolate filled and sprinkled with powdered sugar, with just a hint of the smooth hummus flavor.

Sign up for my FREE email list for more whole grain goodness and new recipes. Let’s do this!

Walnut Hummus Brownies made dairy-free using sabra hummus. This recipe is also whole wheat and still delicious! #ad

When you think of hummus, what do you automatically think of? Chips? Maybe carrots, celery or other dipping veggies?

My personal favorite dipping vessel is a flat pretzel! You know what I’m talking about?

Do you ever think of brownies? I doubt it. Unless you are like me and like to push the boundaries!

This brownie recipe is here to help you get over using hummus as a dip. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with using it as a dip, I just needed to show you that it is extremely versatile and can be used in a variety of recipes, even in a dessert!

So today just so happens to be National Hummus Day and what better way to celebrate than with an out of the ordinary hummus brownie recipe. In addition to the recipe, Sabra is giving away coupons to celebrate! So go on, check out these coupons and get dipping, baking, spreading… what have you.

This recipe is perfect for someone who leads a dairy-free lifestyle. Did you know that you can substitute hummus for butter in some baking recipes? I really didn’t until I started to brainstorm for this post. I thought a chocolate brownie with walnuts would be perfect to disguise the unique flavor of tahini. I used the classic hummus from Sabra for this recipe.

In addition to being dairy-free, I’ve made these brownies with whole wheat pastry flour. They’re nutritious, you guys!

Let’s be adventurous, shall we? Stop dipping and start baking!

Walnut Hummus Brownies

Use 1/2 cup of hummus in order to fully replace butter and keep this recipe dairy free. If you aren't living a dairy-free lifestyle and want to keep some of that butter in, use 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup hummus!

Yield: 9

Prep Time: 15 min

Cook Time: 25 min

Total Time: 45 min

1/2 cup hummus (or 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup hummus)
3/4 cup coconut sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened dutch processed cocoa powder
1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 tsp baking powder
confectioners' sugar for sprinkling
coconut oil (or butter if not dairy-free) for greasing pan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8x8 square baking pan with coconut oil or butter.

Cream together the sugar and hummus. If using 1/4 cup butter, melt butter and incorporate with the hummus and sugar.

Stir in the eggs and vanilla.

In a medium sized bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, flour, salt and baking powder.

Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Add the chopped walnuts and mix well.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Sprinkle powdered sugar on top with a small mesh strainer. Add more chopped walnuts to the top.

Adapted from KNAPP FAMILY COOKBOOK

Related Recipes:

Blueberry Crumb Bars a healthier dessert made with whole wheat flour!

Blueberry Crumb Bars: These crumb bars are made with whole wheat flour and are packed full of whole grains without sacrificing taste!

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins: Whole Grain and Dairy-Free Lemon Poppy seed Muffins! Top these with some amazing lemon curd and you have yourself a healthy breakfast or snack.

Looking for more whole grain recipes? Follow along on Pinterest!

More whole grain, gluten free, vegan and other alternative baking recipes coming soon so make sure you subscribe via Email. Follow Sweet Remedy on Bloglovin’ or Feedly!

Disclosure: As a Sabra Tastemaker, I have been monetarily compensated for this post, recipe development and photography. However, all opinions are 100% my own. There are also affiliate links in this post.

24 Responses to “Walnut Hummus Brownies”

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — May 21, 2015 at 9:13 am

Whoa! This is awesome. You are totally blowing my mind here. I adore hummus and this is pure genius. Can’t wait to try it out!

• Samantha Seeley replied on — May 21st, 2015 at 10:20 am

Thanks!! The tahini in the hummus really gives this a unique flavor and pairs really well with the chocolate!

Carrie @ poet in the pantry — May 21, 2015 at 9:48 am

I am beyond excited that this worked!!! As you know, I toyed with this idea, too–opening up so many avenues for other uses of hummus now!!

• Samantha Seeley replied on — May 21st, 2015 at 10:18 am

Joe gobbled these up. When I was taking the photos for this post, I took a few bites of a brownie and I put it down on my plate, out of the shot. Joe just assumed I didn’t want it anymore and ATE the rest of my brownie. I was like “Are you for real right now? That was mine!” Obviously there were more brownies for me to eat but it was just so funny.

They are very cakey brownies. I’m a fan of all brownies but I’d like to make these a bit fudgier next time.

June @ How to Philosophize with Cake — May 21, 2015 at 11:01 am

Wow that is such an interesting dessert! Normally I’d turn my nose up at hummus in treats but I think in brownies it could work–they certainly look good 🙂

• Samantha Seeley replied on — May 21st, 2015 at 12:20 pm

I totally understand what you mean. The chocolate and tahini work well together though! I think a savory muffin would also work.

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious — May 21, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I love that you made brownies!! I considered using their lemon hummus to make blondies. I didn’t do it for hummus day, but it’s totally happening soon.

• Samantha Seeley replied on — May 21st, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I think that is an awesome idea Lauren! I can’t wait to see it!!

Paula - bell'alimento — May 21, 2015 at 2:14 pm

I’m seriously going to have to try this. Mind blown.

fabiola@notjustbaked — May 21, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Love this idea! So super creative!

Carla — May 21, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Oh so you’re the brave one making dessert with hummus 😉 Actually it does make sense because you use peanut butter in desserts, and tahini is kinda like peanut butter and that’s in hummus. I’m intrigued to try this!

• Samantha Seeley replied on — May 21st, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Haha! I thought I’d give it a whirl. You have some awesome points there about peanut butter. I did not even think of it like that!

The Food Hunter — May 21, 2015 at 3:20 pm

very unique!

dixya | food, pleasure, and health — May 21, 2015 at 4:24 pm

i have been trying out different brownie recipes and this one sounds very interesting!!!

Sarah @ The Chef Next Door — May 21, 2015 at 7:44 pm

These look so delicious! I would have never guessed there was hummus hidden inside. I do love hummus, so I’m sure I would love these brownies too!

Sarah Walker Caron (Sarah's Cucina Bella) — May 21, 2015 at 9:27 pm

I had no idea that hummus could be used in place of butter! Wow. These look so fudgy too. Yum.

• Samantha Seeley replied on — May 22nd, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I’m a big big fan of fudge brownies but these are more cake-like than fudge!

Anita — May 22, 2015 at 2:29 am

I’ve never thought of hummus in brownies! They look so rich and decadent!

Heather / girlichef — May 22, 2015 at 11:03 am

I’ve used tahini in chocolate desserts before, but never full-on hummus – color me intrigued! Is there garlic in their hummus?

• Samantha Seeley replied on — May 22nd, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Yeah there is garlic in their classic hummus. I didn’t notice an overwhelming garlic taste in the final brownie though!

Amanda @ The Kitcheneer — May 22, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Hummus and brownies?! Say WHAT? I need to try this! Looks amazing!

Joanne — May 25, 2015 at 7:49 am

So I’m pretty sure this is the coolest use of hummus EEVVVEEERRR!!! I would never have thought of it…but now I can’t get it out of my mind!

Nutmeg Nanny — May 27, 2015 at 8:18 am

These look so good Sam! How did I not know you could put hummus in brownies?! I’m about to blow my husbands mind…lol.

Harriet Emily — June 30, 2015 at 10:05 am

This is one AMAZING recipe! I am seriously in awe of it. It’s so creative and inspiring! These look incredible, so delicious – you would never tell they have hummus in them!! You are so talented! I can’t wait to try these!