Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream for Alison
I made you this ice cream because you asked me to about 5000 times! Just kidding… I really made you this ice cream because I really like making ice cream and I didn’t want to eat it! Also, I think you deserve some homemade ice cream. You have a lot on your plate at home and it was time to get some ice cream on it!
Here are some great things about you:
- You have an infectious smile.
- You also have an infectious (and loud) laugh.
- You have the coolest last name ever.
- You do some cool event planning and charity work.
- You support Autism awareness and breast cancer.
- You love with your entire heart. I think we all know this.
- You help people in your life, even if they don’t deserve it.
- You belly dance. How cool is that?
- You always have perfect nails. Unless you break one and cry about it for a week.
- You always have nice things to say about my hair-brained ideas.
- You are (sometimes) a good listener. Remember, I can tell when you are waiting your turn.
- You smile at your computer, and that makes me smile.
- You like to get peoples reactions on random things, and it is hilarious.
- You lost a bunch of weight, even if your pants are too tight in the thighs.
- You are going to love this post, because it is all about you.
- You don’t eat red things.
- You like to hear yourself crunch things. Some examples include: chips, croutons, pretzels and salad.
- You watch people take their first bite of their lunch because you want to see their reaction. You should be a food blogger.
- You share! Example: You gave me half of your salad on Monday.
- Your kids love you, I promise.
- You pick up the Spanish food. ‘nuff said.
- You want to help people so you constantly offer.
- You have your own language.
- You tell stories without giving any background information and you make people confused.
- You are a really great mom, friend and confidant. Everyone loves you!
In this recipe, I used fresh mint from my herb garden. You are welcome to use peppermint extract instead. You may have to do some taste testing to get the peppermint taste just right. I would start out with 1 tsp and add to it.
Yield: 1 quart
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 large handful of fresh mint
1 - 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Heat milk and cream in a medium saucepan on low. Do not let boil. While hot, add the fresh mint leaves and let steep for 15-20 minutes.
Separate egg yolks from the whites and whisk into the whole eggs. Add sugar and whisk until fully combined.
Strain mixture and discard mint. Slowly add 1 cup of the milk and cream mixture to the eggs and sugar while whisking continuously until cooled.
When it has cooled, add the egg and milk mixture to the saucepan and heat on medium low. Whisk constantly until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Poor the mixture into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. When the mixture is completely cool add it to your ice cream machine and follow the machines instructions, usually churn for about 20 minutes. While churning, add the chocolate chips. Transfer frozen mixture to a freezer bowl and place in your freezer for 4-6 hours or until frozen.