Homemade Apple Cider

I had no idea what I was doing when I made this all I knew was that I really wanted to make apple cider from scratch and that I had 10 apples sitting on my counter. I bought apples previously to make this and I kept slicing them up and eating them with cheddar cheese. Thankfully the cheddar ran out when I bought my apples so I wasn’t possessed to eat them all again. Have you ever eaten apples and cheddar cheese together? It was a new phenomenon for me and it was oh so good. I think next time I get a nice block of cheddar I will smear some raspberry jam on along with the apples at the suggestion of my dear friend, Jess.

Apples float. I think that my first attempt at this apple cider was too watery due to the fact that apples float. Basic science is apparently confusing to me. Once my apples began to float I should have stopped adding water! Can you say: “DUH!”? For this recipe you will need some cheesecloth and spices. Cinnamon sticks and allspice to be exact. I used ground allspice because it was what I had and I was nervous the cheesecloth wouldn’t hold all of it but everything seemed to work out alright.

Don’t become impatient when making this and start squeezing out the pulp before it is completely cool, you don’t want to end up like me with burns on your hands saying “ow” at every squeeze. Sometimes I do dumb silly things. Head on over to Food.com for the apple cider recipe I used.

8 Responses to “Homemade Apple Cider”

Lynna — December 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm

The first time I had apple cider was two years ago and it was awesome! How awesome to make some homemade!

Julia — December 6, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Homemade apple cider sounds awesome! I need to try it out. I usually just buy it at the orchard in the fall!

• Samantha replied on — December 7th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I usually do the same but I was compelled to make it myself for some reason! It rocked!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — December 7, 2012 at 10:44 am

I want to make apple cider too! I saw someone mention it a few weeks ago and I was like, “Wha…? You can make your own?” And now, of course, I am obsessed with the idea. It looks like yours turned out perfect!

And apples and cheddar is one of my favorite snacks. I learned all sorts of cheese-related snack ideas from going to school in Wisconsin. Another good addition to cheddar and apples is mango chutney. YES REALLY. But you have to get the chunky kind of chutney. This cheese shop I used to live by always served that combo to try to get people to buy their aged cheddar and chutney. 🙂

• Samantha replied on — December 7th, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I always thought it was way more complex than it really is and once I realized all I needed was a cheesecloth I was obsessed with the idea.

Kankana — December 7, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Glad to find your blog from Jenn’s community in Google+ 🙂 Your photos are beautiful and the recipes sound awsm!

• Samantha replied on — December 7th, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Thank you so much, Kankana! I am loving the G+ community right now. So great to be surrounded by all that talent and passion.

1. Pingback: Sweet Remedy » Bourbon Apple Cider