Our Home Brewed Beer Experience

It’s funny that I am posting about beer brewing today since I finally got results of my recent endoscopy. If you’ve been following along you know that I’ve been dealing with some health issues lately, which turned out to be constant acid reflux. The pain was so bad that I thought I was having a heart attack! For real! So the results: “Mild inflammation” of my stomach and “mild reflux.” All I have to say is: Mild my ass.

So back to the funny part: Alcohol doesn’t help heal the stomach inflammation and if that doesn’t heal the reflux will just continue. However, here I am, telling you all about the wonders of making your own beer.

It is wonderful though, Even if it might be a little frustrating since you have to wait a month to see if your beer is acceptable or not.  For Christmas I got Joe a beer brewing kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop, Specifically the Smoked Wheat variety. This was our first time brewing beer so we made a few mistakes. Our beer turned out watered down because of a tiny measurement issue in the beginning steps. Oops. It also wasn’t as “foamy” as other beer. Its okay, we’ll nail it eventually! We’re going to try our hand at being brew masters again soon; we’ve already ordered our next brew, Coffee and Donuts!

Eventually we hope to experiment with our own flavors but for now, coffee and donuts it is — Wish us luck!

A quick note to everyone who has been sticking around reading Sweet Remedy while I’m having acid reflux/food related issues: I really appreciate everyone’s kind words and advice. Thanks for being a pal.

7 Responses to “Our Home Brewed Beer Experience”

Lynna — February 28, 2013 at 10:51 pm

If yours is mild and you feel that much pain, I’m afraid to think what not mild is! D: Hope you`ll feel all great and dandy soon!

Brewing beer at home sounds like a super cool experiment! 🙂

Marisa — March 1, 2013 at 7:22 am

My husband brews his own beer and his first batch tasted like wet garbage! haha He has been doing it for years now and just like anything else, you get your own style and learn the tricks. Keep with it and if you have any questions, let us know 🙂 I love your blog btw!

t.a. helton — March 1, 2013 at 8:43 am

I loved reading this today. My husband got me a brew kit for Christmas and I was going to break it out today and start a batch. My first will be a pumpkin ale. Can’t wait!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — March 1, 2013 at 11:58 am

I don’t even like beer that much, but I’ve been eying those home brew kits. I am such a DIY junkie. I’m glad to hear that the diagnosis is only mild reflux, although I’m sure you’d be much happier if it FELT mild. :/ Keep us updated!

katie — March 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Well I’m glad to read that you got results back finally! Hopefully you will be feeling better eventually! My husband brews beer every 2 months… eventually you figure out what you love!

dixya @ food, pleasure, and health — March 5, 2013 at 5:56 pm

how fun. I love few dark beer here and there but its the whole experience i think its more exciting. I am glad you are feeling better!

Christine (Cook the Story) — March 13, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I LOVE that picture of you at the top. Such a great smile. Makes me want to learn how to brew beer (or convince The Hubs to brew some so I can smile at him like that! lol).