Acorn Squash Donuts

In October of last year I went to a food photography workshop hosted in upstate New York and one of the first recipes I photographed: these Acorn Squash Donuts.

(How do you spell donuts? Doughnuts? Donuts? Is there a correct way or is it personal preference? Is it a dialect thing like colour and color or favourite and favorite? I do not know!)

Acorn Squash Donuts - A Video Recipe!

Acorn Squash Donuts - A Video Recipe!

I’m a big fan of squash. Bring on the butternut, kabocha, spaghetti and acorn! This recipe uses acorn squash in place of pumpkin and a cinnamon sugar mixture that each donut was shaken in once baked and cooled. While also good without this coating, it brought a lot of texture to the finished product. Can you say: “holy-crap-that’s-good!”? I did! I imagine dunking these in coffee would be fantastic. I’m currently making a mental note to try that very soon!

Acorn Squash Donuts - A Video Recipe!

Acorn Squash Donuts - A Video Recipe!

Acorn Squash Donuts

If you don't have a donut pan you can turn these into acorn squash muffins by filling a muffin tin and baking for bake for 23 to 25 minutes.

Yield: 12

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 3/4 cups All-purpose flour

to make cinnamon sugar mixture:
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cinnamon

to make the acorn squash puree:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pour one cup of water into a baking pan and set aside.

Cut each acorn squash in half.  pour or brush the melted butter onto all four halves. Sprinkle cinnamon on top and place in baking dish, face down. (If you want to place face up, you can do that too. The cinnamon will stay in tact (for the most part)  either way.)

Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the flesh is tender.  Scoop the flesh out of the shell and add to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth with 1/2 Tbsp of water.

to make the donuts:
Whisk together the granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, baking powder and flour.

Add in the wet ingredients: vegetable oil, 3 eggs, acorn squash puree and mix until combined.

Grease a donut pan with butter or baking spray. Use a small cookie scoop to add the donut batter to the pan. Fill wells 3/4 full. You can also use a piping bag to fill the wells! It's really easy and mess free.
Bake the donuts for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the donuts spring back to your touch. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before loosening the edges and removing from the pan.

to make cinnamon sugar mixture:
Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and transfer to a paper or plastic bag. Even a container with a lid would work for this.
Once donuts are cooled, place them one at a time into the bag or container. Closing the lid or holding the bag closed, shake until the donuts are coated. Depending on the size of your bag or container, you may be able to coat two donuts at a time.

Adapted from King Arthur Flour.

Related Recipes:

How to make fresh pumpkin puree

Home to Make Fresh Pumpkin Puree

Pumpkin Pancakes-

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Pumpkin Banana Bread | Sweet Remedy

Quinoa Pumpkin Banana Bread

Looking for more whole grain recipes? Follow along on Pinterest!

Looking for more? Subscribe via Email. Follow Sweet Remedy on Bloglovin’ or Feedly!

20 Responses to “Acorn Squash Donuts”

Charissa — March 25, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Goodness. You take the most lovely photos. I want to reach into the screen and eat the largest donut.

Samantha, you are pretty much magical.

• Samantha Seeley replied on — March 28th, 2015 at 4:10 pm

You are magical Charissa! I missed you, I’m so glad you are back to blogging and recovering. 😀

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — March 27, 2015 at 12:13 am

I live in upstate NY! Where was the workshop? Lovely donuts! I don’t know the right way to spell it, but I prefer the shorter version of the word 🙂

• Samantha Seeley replied on — March 28th, 2015 at 4:09 pm

It was in Margarettsville, NY. I actually live in the Hudson Valley, which I don’t really consider upstate but people from NYC do! 😀 I also like the shorter version of donuts… 🙂

Martha @ A Family Feast — March 27, 2015 at 9:19 am

I love acorn squash and I bet these donuts are fantastic! You did your photo workshop proud – great photos!

Stephanie — March 27, 2015 at 10:09 am

Wow! Great job! This is such a fantastic recipe!

Cookin Canuck — March 27, 2015 at 10:46 am

Great job with the video! What a great idea to use squash in the donuts – a little natural sweetness and color goes a long way.

• Samantha Seeley replied on — March 28th, 2015 at 4:08 pm

The color was absolutely gorgeous!

Angie — March 27, 2015 at 11:27 am

That video was amazing! And I love your photos. Those donuts are to die for!

The Food Hunter — March 27, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Love the video recipe.

Heather / girlichef — March 27, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Such beautiful photos, and the doughnuts themselves sound totally amazing! (I’m obviously a fan of the longer spelling…).

• Samantha Seeley replied on — March 28th, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Haha. Thank you Heather! I suppose the spelling really is a personal preference!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — March 28, 2015 at 4:11 pm

These look amazing! I’ve never even seen acorn squash but I’ll look for it next autumn. And great video. 🙂

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet — March 28, 2015 at 9:55 pm

I spell it donuts but I am sure I have even spelled it the other way too. It is crazy how there is multiple ways to spell words! These are so creative!

Rose | The Clean Dish — March 28, 2015 at 10:48 pm

Oh wow! Acorn Squash Donuts – that’s different! What a great recipe! As you can tell, I spell it donuts, too. Why make it complicated when you can have it easy. Your photos are terrific!!

Thalia @ butter and brioche — March 29, 2015 at 12:15 am

I love the idea of using squash for a donut.. I can imagine how delicious these must have tasted. Love the photos too!

Lana | Never Enough Thyme — March 29, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Wonderful doughnut recipe and absolutely beautiful photographs!

Nutmeg Nanny — March 29, 2015 at 9:44 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the video! Listening to the music made me feel like I was in an old timey bar…haha 🙂 These donuts look pretty kick ass too. I wish I was eating one right now!

Sarah Walker Caron (Sarah's Cucina Bella) — March 30, 2015 at 6:18 am

I prefer donut, personally. Your photos here are stunning — and I am so intrigued by the use of acorn squash in these. Mmm!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — March 30, 2015 at 2:57 pm

haha, I spell it both ways,doughnut and donut! Love the video!